In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
This scholarship will be available to incoming Virginia Tech students. We anticipate making our decisions by August 10, 2023, and the scholarship money will be sent directly to Virginia Tech. A reception will be held in June for each winner and their surviving parent. For more information regarding this scholarship application, please see below.
Why Virginia Tech?
Kendra R. Atherton graduated from Virginia Tech in 1992 with a BS in Finance. She truly defined Ut Prosim and what it means to be Hokie. Not only did Kendra attend the school, but ten of her family members, including her children, have as well. The family made countless trips to Blacksburg as Kendra’s children, nieces and nephews were growing up. She absolutely loved Hokie football! In 2019, we actually won Virginia Tech Family of the Year! We know Kendra will always want to support her fellow Hokies. In years past, we have awarded a number of scholarships to incoming Virginia Tech students. We have since decided to dedicate some of our scholarships to incoming Virginia Tech students, because the school means so much to our family.
To be considered for this scholarship, applicants must:
1. Be seniors enrolled in a public or private high school;
2. Be accepted to Virginia Tech as a full time student and have proof of that acceptance;
3. Have lost a parent or legal guardian to cancer;
4. Show interest in their pursuit of personal excellence;
5. Show interest in service and compassion for others vis a vis their school-based activities, community service activities, or work-related activities;
6. Submit their resumé along with two letters of recommendation from the following list of possibilities (letters from individuals having 2 different roles in the life of the applicant is preferred): teacher, guidance counselor, coach, clergy, mentor or work supervisor (NOTE: letters of reference may NOT be submitted by family members);
7. Submit an essay of no more than 500 words describing the circumstances around the loss of the parent or legal guardian to cancer, the impact on the family, and the way in which the applicant has shown exceptional character in his or her daily life, specifically deep caring and compassion for others as well as ongoing dedication to personal excellence;
8. Submit an essay of no more than 250 words of why you chose Virginia Tech, and what Hokie Nation means to you;
9. Agree to a face-to-face interview by the scholarship committee if requested;
10. Submit to any and all verification procedures that the committee deems necessary;
11. Agree to provide feedback to the committee about the benefit this scholarship has had on their pursuit of higher education, if awarded.
The following process must be followed by applicants:
1. Fill out the following application (including essay as instructed above, photocopied letter of acceptance toVirginia Tech, and resumé). Applications are due by 11:59 PM on 7/31/2023.
2. Solicit 2 letters of recommendation as outlined above. Please make sure these letters are submitted by the person you have chosen to write your recommendations by 11:59 PM on 7/31/2023 (NOTE: There will be more information on how to do this on the application form.)
3. If the scholarship committee deems it necessary, a face to face interview may be required. The applicant will be notified by phone if this is the case.
4. Applicants will be judged on their application, essay, the way in which they have shown caring and compassion in school, community or work environment, and their dedication to personal excellence.
If you wish to apply for the Kendra Ruestow Atherton Memorial Scholarship, it can be found here.
Our board reviews these applications and votes on the best eligible candidates to be awarded based on their commitment to excellence, service and passion for others, and exceptional character.
If you have additional questions regarding this scholarship, please contact Hunter Atherton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you! Your message was posted to Facebook.