Virginia Tech Students
Kendra Ruestow Atherton Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship will be available to incoming Virginia Tech students. We anticipate making our decisions by July 30, 2024, and the scholarship money will be sent directly to Virginia Tech. A reception held in Blacksburg during the 2024-2025 School Year. For more information regarding this scholarship application, please see below.
Why Virginia Tech?
Kendra R. Atherton graduated from Virginia Tech in 1992 with a BS in Finance. She truly defined Ut Prosim and what it means to be Hokie. Not only did Kendra attend the school, but ten of her family members, including her children, have as well. The family made countless trips to Blacksburg as Kendra’s children, nieces and nephews were growing up. She absolutely loved Hokie football! In 2019, we actually won Virginia Tech Family of the Year! We know Kendra will always want to support her fellow Hokies. In years past, we have awarded a number of scholarships to incoming Virginia Tech students. We have since decided to dedicate some of our scholarships to incoming Virginia Tech students, because the school means so much to our family.
To be considered for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be enrolled as a full time student at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University for Fall 2024. The individual can be a senior enrolled in a public or private high school, current student enrolled at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, or current student at another 2 or 4 year college or university transferring to Virginia Tech.
- Have lost their parent or legal guardian to cancer.
- Show interest in their pursuit of personal excellence.
- Show interest in service and compassion for others vis a vis their school-based activities, community service activities, or work-related activities.
- Submit their resumé along with two letters of recommendation from the following list of possibilities (letters from individuals having 2 different roles in the life of the applicant is preferred): teacher, guidance counselor, coach, clergy, mentor or work supervisor (NOTE: letters of reference may NOT be submitted by family members).
- Submit an essay of no more than 500 words describing the circumstances around the loss of the parent or legal guardian to cancer, the impact on the family, and the way in which the applicant has shown exceptional character in his or her daily life, specifically deep caring and compassion for others as well as ongoing dedication to personal excellence.
- Submit an essay of no more than 500 words describing the applicant’s decision to go to Virginia Tech and/or what Virginia Tech means to the applicant.
- Agree to a face-to-face interview by the scholarship committee if requested.
- Submit to any and all verification procedures that the committee deems necessary.
- Agree to provide feedback to the committee about the benefit this scholarship has had on their pursuit of higher education if awarded.
- Number available: 5
- Submission Deadline Date: 7/1/2024
- School Year: 2024-2025
- Contact: Hunter Atherton (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Type: General
- GPA: No
- Financial Need Based: No
- Extracurricular/Community Service: Yes
- Minority: No
- Gender Specific: No
If you wish to apply for the Kendra Ruestow Atherton Memorial Scholarship, it can be found here.
Our board reviews these applications and votes on the best eligible candidates to be awarded based on their commitment to excellence, service and passion for others, and exceptional character.
If you have additional questions regarding this scholarship, please contact Hunter Atherton at email@example.com.